Today we made eggplant parmesan sandwiches, this is one of hubby favorite dishes. I usually buy a few eggplants and bake a big batch and then freeze them. When we want to make sandwich I take a few out and do the sauce part. The full recipe is below.
· 1 large eggplant
· 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
· 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
· 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
· 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
· 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
· Wash the eggplant and trim off the green end. You can peel the skin if you like, I leave the skin on. Slice eggplant into 1/2" disks. Place them in colander, sprinkle with salt and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
· Melt the butter in a microwave bowl. In a larger bowl (I prefer a rectangle container) mix breadcrumbs, spices, and Parmesan cheese.
· Dip each eggplant into butter first, then the breading mixture. Place on a baking sheet lines with parchment paper.
· Bake at 400f degrees oven for 14 minutes, then flip them and baked for 7 more minutes. The eggplant should be golden and the breading crispy. This freezes well if you want to big a big batch.
· You can serve as a side dish; we like to serve it as eggplant Parmesan sandwiches.
For the sandwich:
Add a couple big spoons of tomato sauce (home made or store brought) in a fry pan. Let it heat up for a minute, sprinkle a little bit of chili peppers to the sauce. Add the amount of egg plant you need for the meal to the pan and add a couple more spoons of sauce on top.
Let it warm up for a minute or so then flip them. Get the buns ready with a slice of provolone cheese or Mozzarella (I use lactose free Mozzarella) then add one or two slices of the egg plant with sauce to the bun, if you have you can add a couple of fresh basil leaves to it too..
Your egg plant parmesan sandwich is ready.