Normally I tend to make different cakes/breads weekly. I do love baking. I have this orange cake I have been making for years. Now I have to covert it to gluten free...I have to say it turned out very delicious and much lighter than the regular recipe. So my orange cake is now a gluten free delicious recipe. I will include the recipe here, let me know by commenting if you have any pointers or good gluten free recipes.
· 2 1/2 cups Gluten free flour
. *¼ teaspoon of gluten free Xanthan Gum foe every cup of flour
· 2 1/2 teaspoons Gluten free baking powder
· 4 large eggs
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar.
· 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
· 1 1/4 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (I use the same oranges from the zest)
· Orange zest from 4 oranges
· 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
· Brown sugar to sprinkler on top
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease two standard loaf pans and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together gluten free flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a mixer bowl fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together eggs and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. On low speed and with the mixer running, add oil slowly until combined. Add orange juice, zest, and vanilla extract and keep whisking slowly until combined. Add flour mixture and whisk just until combined. Don’t overmix.
4. Pour batter into prepared pans, sprinkler with brown sugar. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. If the top is browning quickly while baking, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Allow cakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Store cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This cake freezes well, cover well, and freeze one of them in the freezer for up to 2 months, then thaw overnight in the fridge.
*In gluten-free baking, we need xanthan gum to provide elasticity and stickiness in the baking. Since there is no gluten in the flour, it needs something that acts as the binding agent for the flour, it helps hold onto some moisture, and helps give the baked good some structure. I ordered my Gluten free Xanthan Gum from amazon, link below. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CJKMW5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1